Students at King’s College India are grouped into four different houses. The four houses are named after castles in the UK, namely:
- Windsor (Purple)
- Sherborne (Yellow)
- Pembroke (Green)
- Pendragon (Red)
These castles are located in different parts of the UK
Pendragon Castle is a ruin located in Mallerstang dale, Cumbria, south of Kirkby Stephen, and close to the hamlet of Outhgill, at grid reference NY781025.
It stands in an atmospheric spot above a bend in the river Eden, overlooked by Wild Boar Fell to the south-west and Mallerstang Edge to the east. It is a grade I listed building.
Pendragon or Pen Draig (Middle Welsh pen[n] dragon, pen[n] dreic; composed of Welsh pen, “head, chief, top” and draig/dragon, “dragon; warrior”; borrowed from the Latin word dracō, plural dracōnēs, “dragon[s]”) literally means “Chief-Dragon” or “Head-Dragon”, but in a figurative sense, “chief leader”, “chief of warriors”, “commander-in-chief”, “generalissimo”, or “chief governor”.
- In the Historia Regum Britanniae, one of the earliest texts of the Arthurian legend, only Uther is given the surname “Pendragon”, which is explained by the author Geoffrey of Monmouth as literally meaning “dragon’s head”.
- In the prose version of Robert de Boron‘s Merlin, the name of Uther’s elder brother Ambrosius is given as “Pendragon”, while Uter (Uther) changes his name after his brother’s death to “Uterpendragon”.
- The use of “Pendragon” to refer to Arthur, rather than to Uther or his brother, is of much more recent vintage. In literature, one of its earliest uses to refer to Arthur is in Alfred Tennyson‘s poem Lancelot and Elaine, where, however, it appears as Arthur’s title rather than his surname, following contemporary speculation that “pendragon” had been a term for an ancient Welsh war-chief.
- Mark Twain in A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court makes various satirical and scathing remarks about “The Pendragon Dynasty” which are in fact aimed at ridiculing much later British dynasties.
HEAD OF HOUSE
Windsor Castle is a royal residence at Windsor in the English county of Berkshire. It is notable for its long association with the English and later British royal family and for its architecture. The original castle was built in the 11th century after the Norman invasion of England by William the Conqueror. Since the time of Henry I, it has been used by the reigning monarch and is the longest-occupied palace in Europe. The castle’s lavish early 19th-century State Apartments were described by the art historian Hugh Roberts as “a superb and unrivalled sequence of rooms widely regarded as the finest and most complete expression of later Georgian taste”. Inside the castle walls is the 15th-century St George’s Chapel, considered by the historian John Martin Robinson to be “one of the supreme achievements of English Perpendicular Gothic” design.
In the 16th Century this coat of arms was recorded for the town of Windsor.A stag’s head representing Berkshire and the royal forest sits above a stylised castle of three towers.
The three towers are not meant to be a direct representation of Windsor Castle. They are in fact taken from the family crest of Queen Eleanor of Castile, wife of King Edward I who first made Windsor a Free Borough and granted the town its Charter.
Eleanor’s use of the castle motif was essentially a pun on the name ‘Castile’ which sounds like ‘castle’.Between the stag’s antlers the quartered royal crest of french gold fleur de lys on blue and the 3 gold english lions on scarlet. The royal crest indicates the symbolic importance of Windsor’s relationship with the monarchy at the time.
HEAD OF HOUSE
Pembroke Castle is a medieval castle in Pembroke, Pembrokeshire, West Wales. The castle was the original family seat of the Earldom of Pembroke. A Grade I listed building since 1951, a major restoration took place during the early 20th century.
- Arms: Or six Chevronels Gules within a Bordure quarterly Argent and Azure charged with twelve Martlets those on the Argent of the second and those on the Azure of the field.
Crest: On a Wreath of the Colours in front of a Castle with three Towers the outer two steepled proper an Anchor Sable.
Supporters : On the dexter side a Lion Gules charged on the shoulder with a Portcullis chained Or and on the sinister side a Lion Argent charged on the shoulder with a Tudor Rose each gorged with a Naval Crown Gold.
Motto : ‘UNG NOUS SERVONS’ – We serve as one
- The arms were officially granted on September 12, 1950 and transferred to the town council.
- The chevronels are those of Gilbert de Clare, first Earl of Pembroke, while in the border the red martlets on white are from the arms of William de Valence, Earl of Pembroke 1251-96, and the gold martlets on blue are from the arms of Jasper Tudor who was created Earl of Pembroke in 1453. The castle and anchor stand for Pembroke town and dock.
- The red lion is derived from the arms of William the Marshal, who was Earl of Pembroke 1199-1219, and was succeeded in the earldom by his five sons. The white lion is from the heraldry of the Herbert family, who have held the Earldom of Pembroke since 1468. The naval crowns refer to Pembroke Dock, with particular reference to the former Royal Naval Dockyard, and the portcullis and rose are badges of King Henry VII, who was born at Pembroke Castle in 1457.
- The motto is a variation of that of the Herbert Earls of Pembroke, Ung je serviray.
HEAD OF HOUSE
- Sherborne Castle is a 16th-century Tudor mansion southeast of Sherborne in Dorset, England. The 1,200-acre park formed only a small part of the 15,000-acre Digby estate. Sherborne Old Castle is the ruin of a 12th-century castle in the grounds of the mansion. The old castle was built as the fortified palace of Roger de Caen, Bishop of Salisbury and Chancellor of England and still belonged to the church in the late 16th century.
Arms : Azure a Cross triparted and fretted Argent between four Double Roses Gules on Argent en soliel barbed and
Crest : On a Wreath Argent and Azure out of an Ancient Crown Or a double headed and twin-tailed Wyvem displayed Argent armed and langued Gules; Mantled Azure doubled Argent.
Supporters : On either side a Griffin segreant reguardant the aquiline parts Argent beaked and gorged with an Ancient Crown Or the leonine parts also Or armed and langued Gules.
Motto : ‘SOLI DEO HONOR ET GLORIA’
- The arms were officially granted in 1986.
- The design is predominantly silver and blue to symbolize the Old English ‘scire burn’ or ‘clear stream’ from which Sherborne derives its name. These were also the colours of Bishop le Poore, who in 1228 granted a charter to the Borough of Newland, and of the former Urban District Council. The shield emphasises the Town’s principal benefactors: The silver cross from the Abbey’s arms is interlaced to symbolize the complex inter-relationships of Town and Abbey, the interlaced strands also being reference to the Town’s ancient weaving industry. The field is blue as in the arms of Digby, lords of the manor and benefactors of Sherborne. The reversed Tudor Rose and Sun in Splendour badges of King Edward VI are here combined to represent the reconstitution of Sherborne School (the King’s School) in 1550.
- The crest refers to the Town’s Saxon origins: the Wessex Wyvern rises from an Ancient Crown (a reference to St. Aldhelm’s membership of the Wessex royal family) and is depicted as having two heads – a reminder of Sherborne’s location on the borders of Dorset and Somerset, both counties once part of the ancient kingdom of Wessex in which St. Aldhelm established his cathedral at Sherborne in the year 705.
- The griffins – legendary guardians of treasure – symbolize both the Town’s pre-eminence as a centre of learning and its vigilance in conserving its heritage, tradition, and character, the reguardant attitude of the beasts emphasising their watchfulness and their respect of the past. Heraldic griffins are half eagle and half lion. Here, the silver eagle parts are from the heraldry of Roger de Caen, builder of the ‘old’ castle and, as bishop of Sarum, chiefly responsible for the construction of the Norman abbey. The gold lion parts represent the Town’s royal association and are reminiscent of the lions in the Dorset County arms. The crowns which form the collars of the two griffins represent the two Saxon Kings, Ethelbald and Ethelbert, who are buried in the Abbey.
The motto is taken from the Sherborne Missal, one of the finest medieval manuscripts in existence, and the badge is a representation of the Castle and Abbey – the Town’s principal features in the popular mind.
HEAD OF HOUSE